PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blank piece of paper - LPC/OPC from today
Old 18th Dec 2021, 12:27
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
Wish I could find the article I read. Guy would do SIM sessions and not fail anything. Student would come out swearing, sweating, confused, no idea what they did wrong. If you are in the sim, you know something will fail, if you fly the line you know nothing will happen. Until it does.
Absolutely.

We actually did that kind of “experiment” in my company a few years ago. We organized volunteered sim sessions of approx 1 hour per crew with a quick line oriented flight. No failures at all, no special threats. In the debriefing the majority of the crew thought they had completely missed some failures and they would “fail” (it wasn’t even graded) and came up with all sort of “ah now I remember we should have done this and that” when in fact the debriefing from the instructor was “thank you very much good job!”. So as You say we expect all sort of action in the sim because it is expensive to run and it is intended to be used for what can’t be done in the actual aircraft, and we don’t expect much of anything on the line because aircrafts are reliable and fly thousands of hours every year without a hitch. And then surprise and startle kicks in when things do actually happen.