PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delay due to Operational Reasons
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2021, 12:05
Alsacienne

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
If you're somewhere down the line (as opposed to one of the relevant airline's bases) then it's often easy to work out from FR24 whether it's a delay to the inbound flight (and if so, how long it's likely to be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davef68
That may already put you in possession of more information than the gate staff have been given.
I've often found the company website or App gives far more information than the airport information boards or gate staff. In fact, I'm quite sure that airports hold back the information from customers, as I've often known of a delay several hours ahead, but the departure boards show 'Boarding at.......'.
I am definitely of the opinion that passengers can be usefully kept in the dark ... after all, how often has one checked in for an 'on-time departure' to discover once having fought one's way through security and into the pre-boarding area (whatever title it enjoys!) to discover that your flight will be delayed ... or even worse ... 'wait in lounge' whilst all the flights below yours show gate information and eventually disappear from the information screens!

If I know that my flight is a 'return sector', I tend to log onto the Departures section of the outgoing airport to see if 'my flight' has left or if it too is showing a delay. Sometimes even looking at the Arrivals section of the airport I'm in can give me a clue as to the real status of 'my' aircraft. Flightradar24 and FlightAware can also be useful sources of information that your local staff cannot or would prefer not to share with you!