PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly at the table of levels, VFR at 3000FT or more
Old 13th Dec 2021, 21:50
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
When has any VFR aircraft in G ever been ‘bailed up’ by Centre or the erstwhile Flight Service or CASA for not flying at the correct hemispherical or erstwhile quadrantal level? I’ve never heard of it.

I can remember being at the ‘wrong’ cruising level, twice. On the first occasion - in the mid 80s - I did a position report and my altitude for the next leg was 6,000’ or 6,500’ - can’t remember which was correct and which was wrong, but in any event it was 500’ ‘wrong’ for the track. It was only when I got back on the ground that I realised my mistake and why Flight Service had queried the altitude I had reported. The second was about 6 years ago and I was on flight following, fat dumb and happy cruising at 9,500’ when I realised it was on an ‘evens and a half’ track. Reported descending to 8,500’. Centre hadn’t queried the 9,500’ in the first place.

Who’s going to be enforcing the rule, and how?

andrewr nailed it. (Though I’m scratching my head wondering why anyone needs a 100’ - 200’ buffer below the LL of controlled airspace. There’s nothing ‘wrong’ with cruising at the LL. I think airspace designers build some assumed instrument errors and small altitude meanderings into controlled airspace levels. I’ll be jiggered if I’m going to fly at 300’ above sea level down V1.)

Anyway, no effective education campaign = no change in the real world.