PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carb Heat
Thread: Carb Heat
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2021, 11:39
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You don't get to jump into the middle of a conversation and dictate that all discussion now only applies to your personal technique...................... If you're going to jump in and say there are no risks by quoting a document and leaving out the part that outlines the risk, you need to be corrected so others don't walk away with incorrect knowledge.
No contributor gains ownership by their duration of contribution. everyone is free to add their knowledge at anytime and this is always valuable.

I've run across dozens of pilots who use this technique because they heard from another pilot that it works better. When PilotDAR and I tried to point out the risks of this procedure, you jump in with "Lycoming says it's ok and it works very well. Don't knock the technique if you have not actually evaluated it." If the discussion is left there, someone could easily walk away without understanding that Lycoming specifies that this technique has risks and recommends using the primer system instead.
I have explained that priming with the throttle, in the way that I described, was taught to me by highly qualified and experienced aircraft engineers. From the tips document provided by Lycoming yes they do recommend that using the primer is "preferred". However, they do not bar the use of the accelerator pump but only suggest that priming this way increases the risk of an airbox fire. Lycoming do not publish a formal warning notice on this although it is well known to them. When priming the fuel will always settle into liquid over time whether delivered as a mist or not. In the worst case scenario when the fuel has drained into the airbox, it will only ignite from a hot exhaust should the fuel leak out of the box onto it. It would be interesting to see what volume of fuel is required to be injected from the accelerator pump to then drain into the airbox and become a fire risk. Over priming is always problematic even using the primer pump. Excess fuel can be ejected into the exhaust and should the exhaust be hot there is a risk of fire. From my experience an exhaust fire has been the most common event. A carburettor fire being extremely rare and following gross mishandling.

the more slow movement of the hand primer is because it is making much greater pressure, and atomizing the fuel to a much more fine mist in the air. (so flow is much less). This mist will quickly evaporate into vapour (which is what burns - liquid does not burn
Absolutely liquid doesn't burn, so over priming is the risk, less so the starting technique. My rule is: never prime a hot engine unless you have completed a fuel purging process first. To avoid an engine fire it is that simple.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 4th Dec 2021 at 12:08.