PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-V1
Thread: Flybe-V1
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2021, 22:49
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do love the way people think that Primeria came in at the cost of United and American.
I am fully aware that UA and AA had pulled out of BHX before Primera started and that Primera did not force them off the NYC routes. I would however wager that they did see off FI to KEF, but that's another story we will never know and apologies, thread drift....the reason I mentioned Primera is that I hope for BHX's sake that this 'new' Flybe isn't a similar panicked blind faith response to regain lost routes and that they last a shade longer than Primera did.....in my opinion, for an airport the size of BHX they are a huge risk, however I get that if BHX turned them away there are other airports who would have welcomed them.

I am fully in support of competition and wish there were far more routes at BHX with 2 (or more) carriers, however as ATNotts says, BHX has a very poor record of sustaining (non-Med/sunshine routes excepted) routes where 2 carriers happily and profitably co-exist in the long term. I really hope the entry of Flybe 2 on domestic routes that have been picked up by others since Flybe 1 disappeared thrive as a result. However, I just don't see that many domestic or international route opportunities in the current climate from BHX flying Dash 8's that aren't already operated and/or can commercially support 2 carriers. Good luck Flybe 2, for BHX's sake lets hope they have deep pockets. To be fair, they probably got Floor 2 at Diamond House for a knock down rental seeing as it was already empty, so that's a start.