PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Happy 80th to USAF Auxiliary
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2021, 16:49
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Thanks for the reminder, Chopper.

I would not be here discussing aviation with such an august grope if not for the New Orleans Cadet Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol. Although I did well in school and had community activities, I always thot my CAP experience was the crucial aspect of my vitae resulting in the USAFA appointment.. Additionally, that's where I learned to fly and realize that I had the "hands" and other things that would help me develop as a pilot, which I definitely did.Think the F-101B, F-102, A-37, A-7D and the F-16A. Survived a coupla combat tours and only got shot down once...... dead sticked the tiny A-37 into the Saigon airport and never got hit again.

Our New Orleans "senior" squadron was very active with search and rescue missions, and that is where I accumulated many un-logged hours fying as an "observer" with a "senior" pilot. That unit sent many cadets to the sevice academies in the 50's and early 60's. Also went to the U.S. CAP national drill team competition 5 or 6 times, starting in mid 50's.

My hallmark aviation poem follows, and was drafted by the founder of the Civil Air Patrol -Gill Robb Wilson. He did not fly combat in WW2, but his poem seems based on the Battle of Britain or similar. After 4,000 hours flying neat jets, I used the poem when various units sent me on my way upon retirement.

BRIEFING
by Gill Robb Wilson
Ahoy there, you who write the books and ponder on the definitions of airpower!
I'll brief you on airpower straight from the horse's mouth.
Still squinting from the sun on top, still stiff from the dog fighting, still grimed from
the cockpit, still marked with the headings - I'll tell you about airpower.
Airpower is the models you built as a kid, and the dreams you nurtured as a boy,
the freedom you craved to go out and beyond.
Airpower is the chatter in the ready room before the horn blares, "Pilots, man
your planes!"
Airpower is a faith that your flight leader won't pile you in on target.
Airpower is the split-second pressing of a button to get home a deflection shot.
Airpower is the comfort of your earphones, the fit of your chute, the dependability
of your wrist watch, the steady fluctuation of the oxygen dial.
Airpower is confidence in the plane you fly, confidence in the "old man" who sent
you on the mission, confidence in yourself.
Airpower is the skill and devotion of a crew chief, the respect of your squadron
mates, the lift of love in the letters from home.
Airpower is a million little things which merge like molecules of molten metal to
form a spar for the wings of your spirit.
But there is something more to add, the final thing that tempers all the rest.
You must believe that, bigger than yourself, enduring when you're gone,
surviving though you perish, your cause is right and just.
There is no power on earth or sea or sky that can be power such as the airman
needs without convictions.
The integration of his faith with all his skills of trade - well, such is power aloft.
God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho

Gums remembers...