PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Temperature Uncompensated VNAV error on Hot days/Inversions
Old 28th Nov 2021, 05:27
RandomPerson8008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temperature Uncompensated VNAV error on Hot days/Inversions

Does anyone have any good resources to study the potential operational impacts of temperature uncompensated VNAV systems such as those used in the Boeing 747-400 and 747-8?

Of course it is understood that cold weather altitude corrections must be applied to published minimum altitudes on terminal procedures when temperatures are outside the design range. At my operator altitude adjustments to published PANS-OPS procedures must be made when the surface temperature is 0 degrees or less, and ATC is required to be informed.

How significant is the danger of one finding themselves with excessive altitude on a VNAV or IAN based approach in hot weather? Might a pilot find themselves paralelling the glideslope on the high side if they attempted to fly a VNAV cda to glideslope capture? Some pilots I work with seem so confident that this could never happen, and that VNAV will always become coincident enough with the glideslope to facilitate glideslope capture by the requisite stabilized approach gates.

Can non standard atmospheric vertical pressure gradients result in similar discrepancies? For instance, large temperature inversions resulting in the an "on glidepath" or "on VNAV path" flight deck indication resulting in excessive true altitude and potentially an unstable approach?

Is it possible that very strong surface winds in excess of 30 knots could result in significant altimetry errors affecting VNAV as well?

Thank you. Yes yes, I realize I should already be an expert on all this, but I am attempting to rectify a gap in my knowledge, so please be kind. We just do not fly non-ILS approaches often enough in the real world for this to matter very much. I am asking because I have seen some interesting VNAV path and IAN glidepath behaviors on very hot temperature days (40+ C) and days with strong winds and very strong temperature inversions (+10C degrees warmer at 2000 AGL compared to the surface).