PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2003, 20:09
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. It was definitely ’69. Mention of Mickey Finn has reminded me; did anyone else ever create their own? A Mickey Finn exercise dispersed the aircraft, in pairs, around the British Isles to dozens of (usually) non bomber airfields.

During ’69 the Waddington aircraft were operating from Coningsby while the Waddington runway was being re-surfaced.

10pm, and very dark. I’d gone to a dispersal hut with Mick Pledger (where are you?) to pick up replacement ECM cans. There, on a packing case, was a huge electric bull horn. Too tempting by far. We drove back to the line hut, bull horn in hand. I walked off into the darkness, pointed the horn at the Line Hut, and went for it.
“Attention. Attention. Attention This is the Coningsgby Controller. Exercise Mickey Finn. I repeat……………”.

Well! As soon as I saw the result I new this would take some explaining, and not only to my mates in the Crew Room. The Line Hut erupted, Crew Chiefs running in circles, vehicles flying everywhere. Now that I’d started it - how to stop it!

Only one thing for it. I walked into the boss’s office, Squadron Leader Neave (how’s that for memory?) He was on the telephone and ignored me. I waved the bull horn at him. No response. I tried again. No success. Eventually he put down the telephone, looked up and said “Don’t you know there’s a Mickey Finn on?” I lifted the bull horn “Attention. Attention…………

Look of horror on face of Squadron Leader Eng. “You didn’t ……?” He was a pleasant sort of chap and all ended very amicably, apart from a couple of seriously p*ssed off Crew Chiefs.