PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proactive AOPA America
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2003, 18:57
Dogimed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaunt

Gaunty

Not meaning to get in a tussle, (I know this is off topic, sorry people) although you did get personal...
Oh really and you would of course know the unvarnished facts, I suspect that you were still in school at the time.
And would you know what I was reading at the time, in lunch breaks and on the bus home... why it would probably have been an AOPA mag, bit boring for me, but still I read it. More ads than now, and the mag was a different size back then. Did you know it changed sizes?
Pray tell what is misleading about the fact that around $250,000, that we know about, was squandered, to "stop" AOPA US from selling their excellent mags on the newstands alongside the dozens of other US aviation publications.
Perhaps it was the term "squandered"? Your opinion? or is your word fact now?
For what benefit, so that Aussies might not get the crazy idea that AOPA US might be able to represent them to our Government.?
Okay, this is how I saw it, AOPA US mag comes and starts selling their mag in australia.. Make losts of dollars out of aussie pilots, but bugguh all representation, why would they care, they have to keep check on FAA. Or should we have just had a yankee board too? So, the biggest asset that aopa australia has is the magazine, it's a great mag and has been for a very long time now.. (Decades) but lets be realistic, we cannot compete with the US mag, it has many more resources and much more money invested in it. So we sell out our magazine, and request a ..what do you think they would have given us,...A4 flier to go into it? so that it has an "ossie" feel to it? Where would the money for Australian AOPA come from? nil advertising, dropping membership as a few only get it for the mag.....
Personally... and this is only my opinion, not a generalised view.. It was an unfortunate blemish in the history of the two aopa's. It should never have happened as they cannot step on other regions toes, as far as IAOPA goes..(From what I can remember)
But lets continue this..
It's a bit hard to get to the bottom of it all really, as the Minutes do not appear to have survived from that period. If they did it would be useful to have them.
I agree!
Can you give me a single rational reason why this should not be so as a matter of course. And that is a rhetorical question only
Okay, lets stick to what I said and not what you want to portray me as saying. I think it is FANTASTIC that we are talking to AOPA US. AS you said, they have a wealth of knowledge and talent that we can access. Well done to the bright spark who suggested such a thing.
But remember.. all I said was this...
I think they saw fit because if they didn't, you wouldn't be on the board today (daresay there would be no aussie aopa). Do some more research before making misleading comments.
Bit different eh...
Regards

Dog