PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK F-35B Lost
Thread: UK F-35B Lost
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2021, 11:20
Ridger

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RAFEngO74to09
For what it's worth, someone posted this on ARRSE:

"Work mate of mine is ex sea harrier maintainer and still has a lot of contacts on the F35 circuit, apparently there are inner and outer intake blanks and its common for the blank to be used as a knee pad while inspecting the first stage compressor disc."

I couldn't see how a properly fitted intake blank could be missed by the aircraft start groundcrew, pilot on walk round, flight deck marshallers, Flight Deck Officer and those in FLYCO.

However, if the malpractice described has been going on, I can see how a folded blank laying in the intake might get missed, particularly if at night, and then not get sucked in until powered right up just prior to the take off roll. I'm still surprised anything laying folded in the intake wasn't sucked in immediately on start.
That's the most plausible theory so far IMO. I recall a case where an intake blank on a military helicopter (not UK) was missed by the tow team, maintainer and pilot, then subsequently realised on engine start. All at night.

Despite the described commonality of the malpractice, and there'll be more to this story but given the cost of the loss, I suspect the ORG will arrive at 'reckless' in record time on this one.