PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 3.1
Thread: Virgin 3.1
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2021, 07:41
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeta_Reticuli
Well, this is the problem. Now they promote based on Gender and not Merit, and what I have seen as of late is absolutely appalling, I find it hard to take many female managers seriously anymore as most of them got there based on their gender and are clearly way out of their depths. This is breeding resentment towards females in the workplace, this is doing a serious disservice to all females who have worked hard for their positions. I am also seeing many men walk away from the workforce because of this as there is clearly no progression for them, and all their hard work and experience means nothing and they are overlooked as they are the wrong gender. Many are either starting their own businesses or leaving altogether. Employers are going to have very serious problems in the coming years!
I am all for gender diversity and the right person for the job - however, I hear what you're saying and have at least on one occasion been told in private about a job that was advertised "It's going to be a woman, so that the division meets its target of women in management." This in an organisation that has been a financial disaster.

I agree with quotas in politics and think the LNP is just dumb for rejecting it because in that realm, it is not a highly technical and critical task that is being carried out but one where we would want the most diverse set of voices contribute to ensure all sides are covered BUT, when it's something like a highly technical business that requires serious knowledge of the operations because people's lives are in jeopardy, it has to be the best person for the job.

The answer here, to achieve some form of diversity, is to institute programs that feed the aviation sector to encourage women to participate.

In the example I cited above, it was my impression that it wouldn't matter which woman it was, as long as the successful applicant was a woman - I think any woman would feel that that is not how they would like to attain their job.