PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith Autobiography
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2021, 05:17
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Dick Smith Autobiography

Dick Smith has published his autobiography "My Adventurous Life". Like or loath Dick, he was certainly out there when it came to business, adventure, aviation and life generally.

The book includes a full chapter on aviation, giving examples of overseas aviation practices versus the complexity of comparable aviation practices and regulation in Australia. Dick writes: "I learned that nearly everything in Australia was more complicated, resulting in a higher cost either for the Government or for the aviator and ultimately for the paying passenger."

Comparing Australia's prescriptive aviation regulations, Dick notes: "In countries like the USA, the UK, Europe and Canada, the regulations left room for the pilot to make commonsense decisions, but not here. The pilot was treated like an irresponsible child." (in Australia)

It is interesting that Dick considers he failed at most of the reforms he wanted Australian DCA/CAA/CASA to consider and adopt, the Authority is far too inflexible and deaf to experienced aviation operators and the aviation industry generally to make reasonable and logical change to Australian regulatory philosophy.

As when Dick Smith posts on PPRuNe, I am sure there will be those who support his aviation philosophy and those who oppose - vehemently in a few cases! Dick obviously has a thick skin as he always bounces back with a response.

I wonder if the majority of Dunnunda PPRuNe users would have supported Dicks proposed changes?

https://books.google.com.au/books?id...page&q&f=false