PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Cheyenne maintenance
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 19:46
Kagamuga

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Duck,

Yes I do remember the Cheyenne II that was blown up at Moorabbin! The rego was VH-TNZ and was owned by Peter "Piggy" Smith a "business" man from Tasmania. Pete also owned at Piper Chieftain at the same time. I think he was a printer by trade, not sure. Was well connected to various people that normally would not feature on your Christmas card list.

I was the last to fly the aircraft; just arrived home from Aussie Government charter with eye doctors to Kiribati Islands and surrounds. July - Aug 1988
The aircraft required an Inspection upon return, due for lots of maintenance plus squawks, HF had failed early into the mission, Heater was dead after a few days, Janitrol fuel burning type, VLF Omega had fallen over.
Did a lot of damage to the then Hawker's hangar, a Cessna 340 was severely damaged.
Next morning, police arrived, still unexploded dynamite in one of the exhaust pipes.

The wreckage was taken to a rubbish dump after interested parties were done with it. Interestingly; the engine data plates turned up on a couple of dubious PT6A overhauls out of the USA some years later.