PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jesus Christ Airlines (JCA Biafran airlift) video
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 19:41
skydiver69

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
My Dad was a civil engineer who worked for Redpath Dorman Long and worked in Nigeria for 2 years around 1975. He was working on the rebuild of the bridge over the Niger at Onitsha which had been blown in 1970 during the Biafran civil war. One of the site foreman told him that his dad had been one of the people who had blown it up. We lived in Ikeja in Lagos where RDL had their head office and did most of their fabrication but Mum and I had one trip to Onitsha, flying out and driving back with my dad in a Land Rover. Whilst there we visited Port Harcourt and one of the old slave forts. I also recall seeing what I remember as an old aircraft dump which I think was near the road we took to get back to Lagos and given my 45 y/o memory, I seem to recall that there were a number of 2 or 4 engined planes there and although Mum took pics I have got no idea where they are now. Someone at the dump took exception to her taking the pics so she had to hide her camera and claim ignorance.