PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are these aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2021, 18:35
Peter Maxfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishtailed
I found these photos of my dad in Egypt in 1946/7, and I recognise the Avro York, but what are the other two?
Lovely shot of "Lake Kivu," thank you. 18-2068 means she was the 68th production model built. Not a Hudson - they were the military version of the Lockheed 14 Super Electra. Not a Ventura either - similar, and the Ventura was indeed the later military version of the Lodestar, but with a distinctively different rear fuselage shape. Based at Almaza. With BOAC from 18th July 1941 to November 1947. She's in the second post-war livery, so that was mostly 1946. Please can you tell us more details about your Dad? What was he doing out there? Any service details; unit etc. Would love a rescan of this shot, as I'm rather crazy about BOAC Lodestars! I am on the case to Madrid looking for any photos and details of the nine ex-BOAC Lodestars parked up for two years for CANA, then flown for four years by the Ejército del Aire (1950-1954). Very little seems to be known about that time while they were in Spain (but I'm hoping for details soon!) Pete.