PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunday Times Attack on Transport Secretary
Old 18th Nov 2021, 13:22
lederhosen

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I am no particular admirer of Shapps, but he does at least have some interest in and connection to aviation. Putting him in the pillory for operating a N registered aircraft seems to be spraying the blame a bit far. It is not exactly late breaking news that civil aviation authorities can make life more difficult than we pilots think it should be. Foreign registration is hardly an unusual response, indeed nearer to home a lot of business jets use the Isle of Man. I don't think that necessarily makes them more dangerous. Small aircraft rather more complex than the ones I did my PPL on forty years ago are classed as ultralights to keep things simpler. The Sala accident has been proven illegal. The court case showed that on just about every level from licensing through supervision, it demonstrated not just poor judgement and bad luck, but also a criminal disregard for the law. Ibbotson did not have an FAA CPL and instrument rating anymore than the appropriate UK qualifications. About the only positive thing is that the publicity and custodial sentence may deter others from going down this path.

Last edited by lederhosen; 18th Nov 2021 at 13:36.