PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR departures - SID, Omnidirectional, ATC clearance
Old 13th Nov 2021, 22:03
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottom line is that you are responsible for obstacle clearance
From an immediate safety of life perspective yes, but working back from the smoking hole in the ground you should be the last line of defence in preventing the accident. The unfortunate R116 accident and report quite clearly highlight that whilst the pilots are ultimately responsible for obstacle clearance, the regulation, management systems, and operational procedures all have a significant role to play in ensuring earlier layers of defence. Very few things should be left to the pilot to come up with their own procedures on the day, or their own way of establishing compliance with the regulation. I’m asking how these should be done, as opposed to how they can be done.

It’s quite shocking to me that after everyone’s input thus far, and their combined experience, nobody seems to know the answer. If every IFR aerodrome had a straightforward omnidirectional departure published in the AIP we wouldn’t be having this conversation, but they don’t, and the fact no-one seems to know the gospel answer points to a significant failure of the regulation, it’s oversight, or implementation/knowledge of national procedure. I have looked through the AIP and as yet not found anything relevant. A relatively straightforward question shouldn’t have an ambiguous answer…