PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retiree Pension Cut
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2021, 05:37
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts
Taken from the article.

" This exercise was driven by the government and impacts all contracted out pension schemes in the UK.”

This is quite disturbing as it implies that anybody else who was a participant in such a scheme will also find themselves receiving the attentions of HMRC.

What will be "interesting" is if any attempt to abrogate responsibility is offered by them. When I had to have my tax code changed on retirement and notified them, I thought that would be that. Hence the arrival of the letter saying "you owe us " came as a surprise.

On contacting them, the nice lady went to great lengths to explain it wasn't my fault and, the farcical bit, amazingly it wasn't theirs either !...so nobody was to blame !....hence I did ask why. then, as the cock up was caused by HMRC not changing the tax code, do you want the money back ?,,,,short ans was, unfortunately they were obliged to recover public funds in such circumstances. Nice to be able to abrogate your responsibility for your own mistakes whilst still using legislation to get the money back.

This "it's nobody's fault " isn't exclusive to HMRC, the letter I got from the DWP also went to great lengths to politely say the same...along with the demand for repayment and the same "recovery of pubic funds" etc....and the helpful reference to the legislation just as a reminder at the end.

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 13th Nov 2021 at 06:00.