PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure video
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2021, 19:06
20driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Bridge landings

I have landed at Old Bridge a few times and like a lot of airports in NJ there are tall trees around. The trees get taller every year and the neighbors can object to getting them cut down so the impact can creep up on you. The tree line can also create some interesting wind patterns. Where I was based at Somerset it could be tricky when landing on 12. That end of the runway was in a box canyon of trees and the wind made a vortex. As you came over the trees the wind was often very different than the wind sock at mid field.
The result was keeping a bit high and fast on a long final was a good idea. I did my PPL in a 172 based in the area and was always shown to use S turns to bleed off speed and I did so frequently. It worked very well. Keep the nose pushed down and watch the runway picture. We did practice some slipping as well but I can't remember any limits on flaps. I do remember it was a very effective way to dump altitude in a hurry. It felt uncomfortable the first few times. A good skill to practice.
I can't find if it says how far from the airport and what height they were at when the engine quit. Does anyone know?
Was the plane based there?