PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure video
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2021, 16:54
Prop swinger

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rozy1
Yes, there is a difference! Can you not see the picture?

Hint- look at the ground path and the angle between said ground path and the leading edge of the wing.
Sorry, but differentiating between forward slip & side slip is meaningless; even when forward slipping I'll aim to track towards a particular ground feature. Your diagram above is deliberately deceptive, the forward slip omits any wind effect & is clearly right rudder, left wing down, the side slip is left rudder, right wing down. What does the diagram mean by "flight path"? The forward slip part suggests that "flight path" = "heading before applying the rudder" but if we apply that definition to the side slip part then the heading before applying the rudder would be directly into wind, in which case the ground track/path would also be directly into wind. Adding some left rudder and right wing down won't change that. That is a very, very poor diagram.

Lets imagine I'm flying towards an airfield, there's a crosswind from the left so I have adjusted my heading so that my ground track is straight torwards my destination. When I start my descent I realise that I have left it too late & will be too high so I decide to add some extra drag by feeding in some right rudder, using left wing down to maintain my track towards the airfield. This is what you would call a forward slip. Fortunately the runway in use is aligned with my direction of travel, my descending forward slip is taking me down the extended centreline of the runway. It's a quiet airfield, I make the usual radio calls announcing I'll be joining straight in on to final approach & continue my right rudder, left wing down flight all the way down final, through the roundout & hold off until touchdown.

At what point did the forward slip magically transform into a side slip?