PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure video
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2021, 13:37
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you found out, it works but there are a couple of traps to be wary of. First, your margin from the stall is reduced so if you flare from this speed you may stall. Associated with that, when you flare your speed will reduce and as you are below min drag speed your rate of descent will increase and you can get a heavy landing. However, if at a suitable height you dive to regain the best glide speed before you flare then it can work well, and I suspect that this is what you did? But it can go wrong and result in a heavy landing or stall.
At say 50 kts and full flaps in a C172, you sit comfortably well above a known stall speed. On the other hand in a full fwd slip with full flaps I am not really sure as to where I've got my airflow limits.
As for the flare, a slow transition back to normal flare speed. Or a seat of the pants flare from a lower speed. Either works if you're one with your airplane. A bad idea probably for a new inexperienced student.

My "no" is supported by the fact that this is not an approved training nor operational procedure anywhere. And, as correctly mentioned, it puts the plane is a regime of flight where it will be necessary to accelerate it before it can be safely flared for a landing.
You're right that I have never worked (or been taught) at any training facility which trains that concept, or even discuss it. Is there such a thing though as "approved training method" or is it just a 'norm' ? Where I am from training facilities are not as tighly regulated as airlines, no school I've been to (US and European) has an authority approved FCOM or SOP. Hence I am wondering if you could call it "approved". If so, by whom?

It is possible to sit high on base leg at 40kts until the picture/height looks right, then make a dirty dive to Vmd and turn finals. It does require practice and judgement and I prefer to use S turns and aggressive side slip.
That's what I quite liked about it, you could just sit there in peace waiting for the "right view". Instead of messing about with a slip, which is dynamic and more demanding. An S-turn similairly, more things to process in your mind at the same time.
Been many years no since I even touched an SEP, so I might not be the best to comment. However, proper energy management is a very rewarding thing in airliner. Maybe the reason why I take good interest in this thread.

Last edited by 172_driver; 9th Nov 2021 at 13:48.