PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructors Manual by Campbell
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2021, 22:58
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You will not see airmanship written on any of the On Track briefings nor on the Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators briefings. The GAPAN briefings are some of the finest and unlike other material they are up to date with both a RAF Central Flying School and civilian school input.
GAPAN of course is now the Honorable Company of Air Pilots. I was very involved in the development and writing of the HCAP PPL briefing notes to which you refer. I can assure you that it was never intended to cast airmanship aside, far from it. The apparent clash between the philosophies of TEM and airmanship was central to our discussions. I am a strong advocate of bringing TEM practice and human Factors into the teaching of pilot training. Unfortunately TEM is held with a lot of suspicion because of its threat to airmanship which, in turn, has brought about a deep seated opposition to TEM as a concept. In my experience, this opposition is widespread within the FIC world. Alan Newtons comment as you have quoted it is a part of this problem.

You cannot replace 'airmanship so simply. Airmanship is too integral to all the aspects of flying and it is very much a part of the general conduct and best practice. Good things and pleasure exists in flying and, thank god, not only the errors and threats. The problem in our current times is that so many, like Alan, who I hold in high regard by the way, want to put everything into a labeled box and TEM conveniently allows you to do that. But, if TEM is to challenge airmanship then it will need an awful lot of boxes. So it is in exercising good airmanship that you will apply threat and error management tasks to ensure your flight is safe. Threats will be specific to your flight. Human error can also be identified specific to your flight and also be resolved before the event. Some threats and some errors will be generic to all flights but those that are not always encountered are particularly dangerous. Human error, in particular, is poorly understood and is treated as a poor cousin, and therefore gets little space amongst the 'threats'. TEM brings nothing new to what is already known and understood but I welcome the focus it brings.

Ron Campbell's manual is still very much part of it and every ab-initio instructor should own a copy as a reference source. Little has changed in the last 50 years that makes a difference as it is claimed.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 7th Nov 2021 at 10:48.