PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure video
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2021, 15:23
FIC101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by double_barrel
I thought his may be of interest

Youtubers are lining-up to say what a hero the pilot was, but It seems to show a very badly handled engine fail within easy reach of a runway. Any comments? Any suggestions on options after she found herself over the threshold and WAY too high and fast? Other than don't come in too high and fast.
If this was a candidate on a PPL skill test I would award a pass because the pilot succesfully concluded the flight without damage or injury and achieved the aim which is to land safely after an engine malfunction. However in the debrief and with the candidates permission, I would have added. From a 2 mile final it would have been possible to consider, I emphasise consider, altering the glide path of the aircraft by
1. Slipping, Cessna warn of elevator oscillation above 20 degrees of flap
2. S turning
3. Diving the height off with flaps full just slower than the flap limiting speed.
Do not consider any of the above unless you have been taught the proper procedures

Its important to declare an emergency using the standard recognised international phraseology, EG Mayday or Pan Pan Pan. A fire truck can only attend the scene if the driver knows of the emergency and making the proper call leaves no doubt about your situation and the need for urgency. Fire is the major concern and being unable to vacate the aircraft without assistance. Seconds count if an aircraft goes on fire after impact

I got the impression that the pilot merely accepted the final glide path without trying to modify it, this is a common mistake. However we do not know the full circumstances and the ground track of the aircraft, my comments therefore are based on an element of supposition

On a FI AOC I would have expressed dissatisfaction that the instructor candidate didn’t employ any of the 3 above methods to bring the touchdown point closer to the landing runway threshold as being a flying instructor, not only should they be able to do this but teach it also. With a tailwind the initial aiming point and final touchdown point becomes more important.

The fact that the emergency wasn’t declared properly by a mayday or pan pan pan call is a very disappointing omission by a flight instructor.

Whether the propeller was windmilling or not is not relevant, the best glide speed gives adequate protection above the stall speed for a safe approach and landing, windmilling or static. Providing the engine hasn’t seized or is restricted the prop should windmill at Vmd anyway.

If there was a handling or speed problem with a seized propeller it would be mentioned in the C172 manual, it isn’t.