PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure video
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2021, 15:05
BFSGrad

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I think the error of the topic originator was to evaluate (i.e., “horrible”) an emergency, engine-out landing using routine-landing criteria. As to whether there are to be lessons learned? Of course there are. But don’t offer up the false choice of (1) brilliant, nothing to be learned, or (2) horrible, much to be learned. There’s a third choice: good enough but still plenty to be learned.

A very long time ago during a BFR in a 172, my CFI pulled the power, simulating the standard engine failure. Though within sight of an airport, our altitude was in that gray area where it appeared we were too high for a straight in and too low for a pattern to the opposite direction (crafty CFI, eh?). I chose the straight-in, dropping full flaps and aggressively (rudder at the stop) forward slipping, and the 172 proceeded to drop like a stone. The CFI allowed the simulated emergency to proceed all the way to landing and we touched down at proper landing speed half way down a 5000 ft runway. I thought we were going to overshoot but stuck to my plan given that (simulated) I had no other option.

I was fortunate to have a CFI during my primary flight training that insisted on forward slip proficiency from his students.