PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure video
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2021, 03:47
megan

Received 392 Likes on 207 Posts
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one, if you're able to use the aircraft again that's a bonus. Her approach was over a residential area in a thickly forested area, absolutely no way an undershoot would have turned out well, perhaps she kept height in hand for possible wind shear, some thing a regulatory check pilot gentle chided 30 hour me for on a check ride for a scholarship in a C150 where I planted a simulated engine failure virtually on the numbers of an airport, the forest would shield the runway from ambient wind. Bar a grilling who knows her thoughts. Sure she may have side slipped of the excess height, but if she was happy with the way things were progressing then why? Why didn't she side slip? She may have been conscious of the cautionary note in the flight manual about side slipping with more that 20°, flap and not wished to experiment if it was to be her first time. Her judgement proved to be impeccable as the results show. I'm sure she would have gone away and thought it through as to how she could have done things different, she has ticked a box that not a lot of people get to do and is far richer for the experience. Some folk could win the lottery and still complain the pool wasn't big enough.
Steep slips should be avoided with flap settings greater than 20° due to a slight tendency for the elevator to oscillate under certain combinations of airspeed, sideslip angle, and center of gravity loadings.