PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2021, 04:36
Alt Flieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnadenburg
I think this is a principal issue with your submarines. Nobody really knows whose side you would be on. Your China policy is soft and ambiguous and France's military commitment to the region has been unexceptional.

The submarine deal was a mistake. We were lied to about timeframes, capabilities, offsets and industry participation. Australia was gouged as no Plan B. We pursued a Plan B last year and the French knew this- they just didn't think nukes would be an option. Then Macron labelled our PM a liar and when evidence to the contrary, French diplomats crying afoul.

The whole affair has fallen predictably into the hands of the CCP. They are on your side BTW. Mortified at Australia not committing to French submarines. I wonder why?

Australia now has to investigate any French-made military equipment in service. This dispute has gone far enough to suggest supply and support chains vulnerable in the future.
Agree.
France is not the aggrieved party. Australia is.
Lesson ? Forget any military procurement deal with France for the foreseeable future.
The mystery is why anybody thought the deal was a good one in the first place.
The really interesting back story that I haven’t heard much about is how the US and UK were convinced to hand over the Crown Jewels of submarine technology. It may still not get past Congress.