PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat New Zealand prospects
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 06:22
telomere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi DingDongClunk, my 2 cents worth, for what it is worth. I have lived in both countries (Australia and NZ - but born in Australia) - you will make more money in Australia but it also depends on what you are after in life. If $$$ are the primary driver then Australia is for you. If you want to live in a place where people are friendlier (I am talking South Island folks) but you make less money, then NZ is a good option. I spent 20 years in the front of a jet in Australia, stuck in traffic to get to the airport and back everytime I went to work. It was my 'normal'. I escaped the rat race and now live in the deep south of NZ - no traffic, peaceful, no longer living in hotels or suffering the unpleasentess of shiftwork - my new normal. I have no plans to move back to Australia. Interestingly, I work with a number of Australian expats here who accept that they could make more money back home but trade that off for the lifestyle here. One thing I have noticed is the level of hatred and vitriol towards New Zealanders from Australians in Australia (the ANZAC commeraderie is just a myth nowadays). I haven't seen the same attitude towards Australians here though - quite the reverse - another reason I like it here. So where you go depends on what you want in your life. I recall an old proverb - Lucky are those that are satified with enough. I will now sit back and read the vitiolic posts from pilots back home. Telomere.