PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat New Zealand prospects
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2021, 10:51
Anti Skid On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dctPub
Pilots are legitimately out of touch about what it's like out there in the "real world". I know I was and let me tell you, working 40 hours a week compares NOTHING to my cruisy airline job (RIP), or previous charter jobs. Work life balance driving trucks? You have another thing coming.

OP, be wary of taking advice from cashed up boomers living in gated communities thinking we are still living in a high trust community like NZ had in the 50s-90s.

You think things are getting scary in the US only? Sure, come on in. The water is lovely.
Am I the "Cashed up boomer living in a gated community"?

Yes, I have money, it's tied up in my main residence. Like many Kiwis, I don't have a bach or a portfolio of rentals. If I sold my house, that I worked to get (as did my wife), yes I would be well off, but I'd also be homeless and wouldn't be able to buy anything have decent - and I don't live in a ******* gated community - I could NOT think of anything worse.

And by the way, I started working at 12, and 46 years later I am still working, came from a very impoverished background on the outskirts of Glasgow.

DingdongClunk wants out of the US; NZ is a rural backwater compared to there. You're extremely unlikely to be shot here (unless you're in the bush during deer stalking season); yes, we are developing our own batch of lunatics with the Tamaki's, Billy TK and Sue Grey and the whole 'we want freedom' brigade, our own little Trump fan club. Hopefully they will disappear, though judging by the eejits walking through Auckland, maybe my optimism is misplaced,

You're right. Truck driving in NZ would not be a career move for most, but the other lifestyle aspects (outdoors, beaches, wildlife, etc) are hard to beat.