PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Temora Museum Vampire Engine Fire In Flight Recently
Old 31st Oct 2021, 18:20
exMudmover

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
KenThere were different marks of Goblin in the UK and Australian Vampires. The posts above show the Goblin 35 for Australia; those I flew had the Goblin 3.
"I flew the RAF's T11 in training at Valley in 1962-63, and have a .pdf copy of the Pilots' Notes, dated 1960, and showing amendments incorporated in 1970. As the only Vampires in use after about 1965 were those (maybe only one?) retained at CFS, I doubt that there were major changes during the 60s.

The bands of RPM to avoid are listed as 8150-8650, and a spot speed of 10500 rpm. This is as I dimly recall from those distant days. The severe warning highlighted at post #6 is not shown, nor are the rpm bands below that warning. The different variants obviously had different characteristics. But.......but.......... why did the higher mark number have the worse behaviour? Was it actually a renumbered earlier variant? We need someone with much more knowledge of the DH Goblin than I have, to answer that."

There were still quite a few T11s used for training Iraqis at Leeming in July 1967 when I arrived there. The flight was commanded by the estimable Reg Drown, a fellow Janner. After about 6 months the flight moved to Swinderby, sadly before I could scrounge a trip. I've no idea how long they operated from Swinderby.
kenparry is offline Report Post