PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2021, 16:54
Timelord

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts
I was a Nav Radar on a Waddington squadron at the time, and our crew did the Chicago display the next year. I think it is uncontroversial to say that the rules for selecting, training and supervising display pilots at that time were a lot less rigorous than they are now, and were tightened up partly as a result of this accident. This crew had the Squadron Commander as the Nav Plotter. The aircraft was based at NAS Glenview but the display was over the water in front of downtown Chicago. They flew the display with a four man crew whilst the plotter (Sqn Cdr ) went to the display site. For whatever reason the crew elected to do an impromptu display at Glenview before proceeding to the display proper. It went horribly wrong during a wing over and a rate of descent developed that meant they could not recover.

I believe that the Board also highlighted possible fatigue as a result of their Scampton - Glenview itinerary. As a result we had a very leisurely time the next year. Everyone we met spoke extremely highly of the deceased crew and there was a memorial plaque in base ops.