PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat New Zealand prospects
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2021, 03:10
kiwipilot1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DingdongClunk
I posted something similar to this 2-3 years ago, but a lot has happened since then. And with travel to NZ likely opening up to vaccinated travellers next year I was wondering what prospects a US pilot might have to obtain employment and visa in NZ.

I’ve got some vacation in Jan. Was thinking of maybe flying down and converting my certificates. I’m a fairly experienced regional captain in the states, 10k plus hours and most of 4K PIC.

I figure I probably couldn’t go right to Air New Zealand, but maybe make a lateral or even downwards move to some place like Sounds Air?

I really dislike living in the US, the society is not on a good trajectory and I want to start over in NZ even if it’s lateral or a step back in my career progression.
Haven’t the US Pilots received massive pay increases in the last few years? Also don’t you have guaranteed flow through to the majors which arguably have the best pilot contracts in the world? These two things would be a massive reason to stay where you are and wait for your number to come up for flow through. Why you’d want to come to NZ is beyond me.

If you come to NZ there is one major player, progression is dead in the water and there is certainly no flow through to long haul jet jobs based on seniority. Your best bet is wait until Qantas mainline opens their books, you’ll have an ok lifestyle there.

Also at the moment we have the most divisive controlling government this country has ever seen.

Mate I’ll swap you passports, you can have mine and I’ll take your US citizenship off you in return.