PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat New Zealand prospects
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2021, 23:42
gordonfvckingramsay

Received 694 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by dctPub
Lmao bro, what on EARTH are you wanting to come to this dump for.

The society in all western countries are "not on a good trajectory".

1) Unless you manage to marry a kiwi bird, you won't get residency to work here.
2) In the unlikely event you manage to get residency, no one is hiring. Air Nz canned 300 pilots last year, they all have to be hired back before any external recruitment begins. Not to mention the fact that there is practically ZERO chance of any of them going back to flying next year because of this governments covid response.
3) If you somehow manage to bypass the top two points and get a job, you will be absolutely shocked by the absolutely dismal wages and sky high cost of living. You might want to have a look at what kind of sh*thole 1 million dollars can buy here. Hint, it's not much. Paired with roughly 60k pay at sounds air, 60-70k pay at Air Nz links, and 120k Air Nz jet you won't get ahead unless you are bringing truckloads of cash from the states.

Everyone I know is trying to scramble to get a green card in the US, and you are willing to throw it all away for a pipe dream. If you come to New Zealand you WILL regret it, I guarantee it.

I honestly can't emphasise enough just how **** aviation and living in NZ is like compared to the States.

Edit: I would legit give my left nut to be in your shoes right now. If you are hell bent on getting out of the US, try Australia. Only better than NZ in every single way and Qantas tipped to be hiring next year.
I love a frank reply, no sugar coating!

While Australia may seem to be better than NZ in many ways, it’s far from utopia here. The million dollar ****box syndrome is a reality here in most capital cities. Pay and conditions are constantly under attack from the elitist fools “running” the airlines. CAO48.1 went from a good bit of fatigue management law to a piss weak, watered down piece of legislation quite obviously tilted towards airlines and not pilots (or the travelling public). Thousands of pilots were thrown on the scrap heap following the very predictable breakdown of VA only to be bullied into taking sub standard pay and conditions in order to keep their houses. The FWC is anything but fair most of the time (disclaimer: I would never suggest they have close relations with some airline management), with many pretty clear cut cases swinging against staff.

Mate, for the first time in my career, I’m thinking of going to the US as OZ is a basket case.

Good luck