PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future is bright the future is HIAL
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2021, 19:47
terrain safe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HershamBoys
I get the resilience, security and cyber requirements...by facility I meant a dedicated building. Unless you have a fairly new-build, maintenance and operating costs only ever go up. In respect of resilience, even if you go for a trailer mounted VCR, the outright purchase cost, replication the ATS kit, and AGL and navaid controls, plus UPSs and connection to the airfield circuit, can be prohibitive, to the extent that some airfields make the case that it is not worth the bother. I believe that over the long term RTT will prove to offer a better business prospect than the traditional ATS set up, but yes, the initial outlay will be considerable.
Given the cost of setting up these facilities, it is only generally worthwhile if you are avoiding a completely new facility on an airfield, as they have to be constructed while still using the old facility, therefore, all new kit, etc as it would be difficult to move kit from one place to another, get it set up, tested and signed off without interrupting the operation even overnight. Of course, you also need a backup facility as well as ensuring the new facility also has security coverage. Generally, the old one on the airfield is airside so has security by dint of its location.

RIT is I believe only used in very quiet periods eg overnight and so would be difficult to implement at an airport that has a reasonable amount of traffic. Also, it will need a position to open if it gets too busy to run combined so requires extra equipment as well as a controller standing by to take over, thereby negating any staff saving.