PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - David Gladwin Concorde Ltd
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2021, 10:01
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes, I am still around !

The company started by chance.

As a BA VC 10 pilot I was told I was going onto Concorde. Norman Todd told me I was reserve pilot for # 7 course and would be on #8.

Sadly, after # 7 copilot training was stopped and my fleet manager told me the the fleet would probably be grounded, and commands would be many years away.

I left BA to join Orion as one of the first captains on the 737.

Still longing to fly on Concorde with the help of a local newspaper I chartered it for a “round the bay “.

Following day, my phone never stopped, asking when they could book the next flight !

So we put on another charter, and in fact many many more from EMA, BHX, MAN, GLA, CWL and even Exeter.

Then the MD of MAN asked me to do a flight from MAN to CDG as the first departure from the new Terminal at MAN ! Great success.

So we started regular CDG flights !

Then BA suggested MAN to JFK, again great success and full loads.

We continued for almost 15 years but never grew the business like Good wood ( and we kept our operations “low risk” not like Rovianeimi in winter) as I wanted to continue flying with BY, on the 75 and 76 !

Still have many highly complimentaryl passenger letters, and surprisingly we had quite a number of pax who repeated their “ once in a lifetime “ flights.