PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 23:43
43Inches

Received 404 Likes on 222 Posts
I never said there was no worker shortage, I was stating just that Rio is a bad example of doing badly in covid. BHP the same.

We (Melbourne) just opened up here, so many shops are just happy to see customers let alone worry about staff, however we are still short staffed here as well as many casuals laid off have become used to sitting around or moved into other occupations. Many local larger shops are taking walk in applications as net based recruiting is not gathering enough. So it's not just a WA issue at the moment. You would think from all the moaning that people would be dying for work, but it's not really showing up in applicants for the basic stuff with local supermarkets in large suburbs still struggling to get staff. Local managers asking staff if they have any kids or friends etc that need work, different from a few years ago where you had to take a job in a burb 20 km away to begin.

I won't be surprised if Melbourne in particular starts to see logistics issues with lack of delivery drivers leading to pay and condition pushes, like in the UK. A lot of supermarkets are already having delivery issues with congested distribution centers, and shelves lacking some goods. This is in part due to covid hitting a couple of major distribution hubs, but is also due to lack of drivers.

PS Auspost and most other delivery services are screwed here, it takes a week plus to get things sent across the city, and don't bother paying the extra for 'express' it gets there at the same time. It's going to totally implode by Christmas.

Last edited by 43Inches; 23rd Oct 2021 at 23:53.