PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flyegypt have pranged 3 Boeing 737’s in the past week - action needs to be taken
Old 21st Oct 2021, 20:07
Equivocal

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts
When I say “shut it down” I don’t mean close the shop, I mean institute a safety shutdown.
And what, exactly, is a safety shutdown? And how does it differ from 'closing the shop'?

I have to snigger when I read first-world pundits like Equivocal (who writes extremely well) suggesting a low-cost Egyptian airline conduct their own internal investigation. Clearly the learned gentleman has little to no exposure to Egyptian aviation ethics and morals, notably on the low-cost end of the line. What a hoot!
Whilst I don't wish to make this personal, it's good to know that I brought some humour to your day. Surprising as it might seem, I do have some exposure to ME aviation having been involved in supporting a State very nearby to improve some of its working methods. And I don't underestimate that there is a good way to go for some States and operators to implement good and effective safety practices. But here's the thing, even a long journey starts with a single step - a knee-jerk reaction of 'shut them down', even if it is watered-down in later posts, does not contribute to any progress or change any of the majority mindsets. If Africa and the ME are your back yard, I fear that you may well be part of the problem that you claim you are so concerned about.

So by all means, jump on your moral bandwagons and chastise me for being overbearing in my concern and judgment. I will reserve my right to remain significantly concerned that when a low-cost Egyptian airline has 3 landing gear issues in one week in European locations that the holes in the cheese are lining up and bells should be ringing.
I don't think anyone here is arguing that there is not an issue that requires attention, but whether the fact that a low-cost carrier has been involved in all three events, or that all three events took place in Europe, or any of the other factors that might have gone through your mind, are indicative of a serious problem with the operator, or the State of operator, or the quality of regulatory oversight, cannot be determined without further, objective investigation. Then you might know where the holes are, and which slices of the cheese are involved.