PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing pilot involved in Max testing is indicted in Texas
Old 19th Oct 2021, 04:13
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Big Pistons Forever

As PAXboy notes, I seriously doubt Boeing would be allowed to fail - it's too important. Just as the government bailed out GM and Chrysler, they'll do what they need to keep Boeing going (that being said, I do have my concerns that my Boeing pension could take a serious hit in the process). I do see signs that things are getting better, including the self reporting of quality escapes (although I can see why it might not look that way to an outsider).

As I noted before, discovery is going to be interesting. While I have no doubt that the issues extended beyond Forkner - perhaps well beyond - you'd have to be an idiot to put something in writing that you thought could be considered unethical. Most people understand email is forever, so in spite of Forkner's "Jedi Mind Trick" emails, it's highly unlikely there is anything like a smoking gun in writing. Heck, even Hitler and his henchmen knew better than to put the orders for the "Final Solution" in writing.

I haven't been prime in an accident investigation since Lauda (pre-email), but even in a secondary role, you're instructed to save any and all email communications regarding the accident investigation. At best it's a hassle - and if you forget you can get into big trouble. It's enough that if I wanted to discuss an ongoing investigation, rather than writing an email that I had to make sure I saved and kept track of, I'd just go find the person in question and actually talked to them about it.
I doubt I was an exception...