PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing pilot involved in Max testing is indicted in Texas
Old 18th Oct 2021, 19:15
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killaroo

I worked in the aviation industry right out of college until I retired at age 60, the last 26 years for a major aircraft engine company plus 2 additional years to restore a relationship that was nearly destroyed by the current Boeing CEO when he was still at the aircraft engine company. There are various reasons for their ultimate positions, including the "Peter Principle". For another example, we had a former VP moved up to corporate level to be in charge of the company's corporate jets. We had three corporate jets. The reality is that most dead heads windup in corporate level positions, doing either nothing or being roadblocks to what needs to be done.

Harry Stonecipher's name came up. He was an absolute jerk, and it got him fired. Each year the aviation engine company reserved a day called "Engineer's Day" to recognize the achievements engineers made fo the business and to publicly recognize achievements of deserving engineering individuals that might go unrecognized and unrewarded. It was a happy day until Stonecipher came along. He used his time at the mike that day to chastise engineers and turn the day into a big downer. The the head of the company heard what had happened, he ended Stonecipher's career, telling him was no longer an employee, go find a job in some other company.

Often the problem is that the buildup of veneer attached to individuals is not removed to get at the person him or her self. Once it is removed, often the true person is discovered to be much different than that from the veneered one. Another problem is that managers tend to hire people less capable than they are, job protection I guess. I did the opposite, I tried to hire people more capable than myself which gave me freedom to do the things I liked to do and yet run a strong organization knowing it was in good hands and functioning well. Just some thoughts in response to your questions.