PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-WIZZ down 15/10/21
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2021, 18:00
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Okay total thread drift, but while we're transposing aircraft registrations anyway, old story...

Back in the later '80's, I arranged for my old friend Bill Loverseed to borrow a friend's Piper Aztec for his instrument renewal. Bill had left the employ of dehavilland, and thus had less access to airplanes for local rides. My friend Max owned Aztec C-GVVV. So I told Bill to jump in on the apron in the morning, and familiarize himself, as he was not experienced on Aztecs. Ride in the early afternoon. I met Bill for lunch. He expressed gratitude for my arranging the loan of the airplane, but then asked me, "do you not know the difference between an Aztec, and a Beechcraft Baron?". "Sure I do Bill, why are you asking?". "Because VVV is a Baron, not an Aztec!". "No, VVV is an Aztec, I've flown it lots!". So we quickly finished our FBO lunch, and Bill took me to show me that VVV was a Baron. Indeed, it was! C-FVVV was a Baron, parked two planes down from C-GVVV, the Aztec. He'd actually walked past Aztec C-GVVV to get to Baron C-FVVV. Both had unlocked cabin doors. Bill had now only a few minutes to get familiar with the Aztec, as the examiner was minutes away! He passed the ride.

Bill never again challenged my knowledge of types. Many years later, while driving through a distant town, a car license plate in a McDonalds parking lot caught my eye, "C-GVVV". I had to stop and see if Max was there. Sure enough, sitting having a burger, there was Max. He'd long since sold the Aztec, and given up flying, and we had a great chat anyway!

The last Bell 206 I flew was C-GGAZ, (though we still put jet fuel in it!). Back to chatting about an unfortunate helicopter event....