PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2021, 08:38
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tartare
Not quite sure what you mean?
My point - probably not clearly enough made - was that if the shooting starts any big surface vessel is now highly vulnerable to weapons like the DF-21.
Personally, if I had to be at sea at that point - I'd rather be under it - or over it - rather than floating on top of it in a big, fat target.
Two points I made - badly:

1. DF-21 is not something that nothing can be done about. As well as giving naval and other forces anti ballistic missile capabilities, there is a whole kill chain to be disrupted, including the enemy reconnaissance assets that determine where the target is. Aside from things like spoofing, deception via electronic transmissions, controlling the emissions from friendly forces, enemy submarines and aircraft can be countered (which was a carrier role during Second World War and during the Cold War), and even satellites in low earth orbit can be engaged by weapons such as SM-6. Remember when the Americans splashed one of their own faulty satellites?

2. Even in time of conflict, huge quantities of equipment and forces have to be moved by sea. There is no alternative.

Thus the investment in balanced naval forces - capable surface combatants and ASW helicopters, and submarines.