PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAT (Yugoslav Airlines) Boeing 707s
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2021, 03:36
A30_737_AEWC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Came upon this thread looking for serials/registrations/model numbers of the JAT Boeing 707 fleet. Interesting mixed fleet of types/variants they had. I note a few links to Pakistan's PIA.

My first EVER flight in any aircraft was on a JAT Boeing 707 which operated 'scheduled charter flights' between Belgrade (LYBE) and Melbourne (YMML) in the early 1970s. The flight was in 1974 and I wangled 3 months off early primary school on a family trip to the 'old country', actually not long after their 'seven-ohs' entered service it seems. I have recollections during my teen aircraft-spotting years of the DC-10s regularly plying their way into YMML. I think Dad flew back to see his elderly parents in SLO during the later DC-10 days (sometime before the mid-1980s were done).

I recall stopovers in Singapore (WSSS) (mightily humid and oppressive at night) and Karachi (OPKC) (daytime heat with armed guards evident on the tarmac - what I now know to have been a shared military airfield) before arriving in Belgrade. It was quite a trip with Dad and 2 of his brothers, respective wives and 5 kids between 6-11 years of age in the troupe !

Have some nice decals from Lift Here! to build a 1/144 scale 707 in the classic JAT early scheme one of these day, hence the interest in variants and configurations.