PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US sells carriers USS Kitty Hawk and John F Kennedy for 1 cent each
Old 12th Oct 2021, 21:15
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by LTCTerry
At that time I was in Strike Operations w/in the Operations Department, helping to develop the daily Air Ops Plan. We were in four-section duty and I stood watch on the bridge (Conn or deck-under-instruction) and in Combat. So, eight on, eight off, with the office job and sleep to be worked into the eight off portion.

Funny you should ask about Ward's video. I have seen it. He and I have corresponded briefly and know some of the same people. I suspect Ward knows what he's talking about with his F-14 RIO background. His description of how movement affects the radar display seems to link US actions and Libyan actions pretty tightly.

When I was a little kid in the early 70s my dad was part of the special weapons school staff at Sandia Army Base/Kirtland Air Force Base. One of his USAF Lt Col counterparts had been a US Military Assistance Mission person to Libya as a captain. One of his trainees was a Captain MuammarGaddafi. It's an incredibly small world.

My retired Navy fighter pilot dad had the chance to ride with me on the ship for a few days on a "Tiger Cruise." Airshows were prohibited, but the "airpower at sea demonstration" was pretty impressive; my dad commented on the F-14's turning radius - "you could double that for the F-4."
Were you Surface Warfare or an Aviator/NFO? Sorry if my question seems odd, but as a keen proponent of the Royal Navy's carriers I am particularly interested in the whole ship aspects of carrier operations, and how the different warships and aircraft work together, such as the carrier, F-14s, E-2, and the Aegis Cruiser.