PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airplane With The Nicest Handling
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2021, 23:18
David J Pilkington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blind pew
Only flew the lower powered air tourer and demonstrated looping to by little brother over the sea off Sunderland..stalled over the top and it continued seawards on its back until I used both Rudder and aileron to get the nose down. Second attempt did the same and saw the altimeter wind through 500ft during the recovery. Brother said he had seen enough thank you.
Looping figures always needed more speed than what the book recommended. I owned a 100 hp Airtourer for some years but it really needs 150 hp. Problem is that the Super Airtourer 150 has diddly squat useful load.

The T-6 model was the best, in my opinion. It is approved for all the usual aerobatics at maximum weight in semi-acrobatic category so has a useful load. It is strange as FAR 23 doesn't have a semi-acrobatic category and the TCDS doesn't explain it - I wonder what CASA thinks of that?

The T-6 doesn't have the inboard wing stall strips and the one that I flew often had a sudden, large wing drop at the stall (flaps up) that I could not prevent so I remain surprised that it was certified but perhaps other examples are different? The rudder is too small. Poor dutch roll damping. Springs in the aileron control system don't make the ailerons nice, in my opinion. So, a long way down my list of airplanes with the nicest handling even though I enjoy flying them.