PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Nuclear sub has hit an unknown object in the South China sea
Old 8th Oct 2021, 12:13
andytug

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Dangle
Just to put a little more meat on what TS already posted...submarines are normally passive on patrol. An inert uncharted object is therefore undectable, so no concerns from that perspective.

If it was emitting any sort of noise, or was a charted feature, everything changes. Unlike on the tele prog "Vigil" (unmitigated 100% unwatchable, unforgivenly insane, infantile f******** horse manure) submarines do not surface under Bulk Carriers (or if they ever do someone is losing their command and getting Court Martialed).
That was the point at which I finally lost it with "Vigil"....I twigged straight off that the listening sonar guy was useless, a trained one would have heard any powered ship coming from miles away (and be able to tell exactly what type it was). Everyone in that control room should have instantly known he was hopeless and he'd have been replaced straight off.

I suspect as said above the reporting of this early (before the sub appears somewhere unexpected for repairs) is to send a message.