PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2021, 10:58
HAS59

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I smile as I see people writing about countries acquiring nuclear powered submarines, as if it was a simple upgrade, from a ‘GT to GTI’. It is not, it is a whole new industry which needs to be built carefully and in stages. Take a look at the Brazilian approach to building their SSN. It has taken time, re-evaluations, re-designs and is progressing with help from France. It is not some nervous knee-jerk reaction as we see in Australia. Why Australia didn’t buy excellent large ocean-going submarines from Japan was likely based on nationalistic rather than military reasons.

On the same subject but a different point. At what time in our so-called democracy are we the people of the United Kingdom going to be asked our opinion about this fundamental change in strategic military policy? Defence issues may not be vote winners but if the ‘leadership’ is going to weaken any European/NATO contribution by diverting assets down under I for one would expect a debate to be held in the house of commons, not another bumbling rambling unchallenged announcement.

I am well aware of the rise of China, its speed its capabilities and its stated objectives which have been openly published many times. It is not going to stop or waver with the odd RN Frigate sailing through the Strait of Taiwan. The South China Sea was lost to China years ago, the naval bases there will support their fleets into the Indian Ocean and beyond.Does anyone seriously expect China to say 'Oh sorry, we'll just pack up and leave the islands then'?

The defence of Europe within the NATO Alliance is well understood, debated, funded and equipped. This shift in direction is none of these things.