PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was he Correct in Speaking Out.
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2021, 18:04
Lonewolf_50

Received 366 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by rattman
Unless the american military is drastically different from pretty much every other military in the world you cant just resign and walk away when it suits you
What we taught our junior officers who augmented from the reserves into the regulars was this little adage:
You serve at the pleasure of the president. (While strictly true, a bit of an exaggeration for anyone below flag rank)
When you put in your letter, as I did (uh, well over a decade ago) you are requesting to retire from active duty.
That request can be honored, refused, deferred, or expedited based on the Needs of the Navy.
(More generally, the Needs of the Service)
Meanwhile, General Milley - who may well have committed treason when he had unauthorized communications with his Chinese counterpart while Trump was his Commander in Chief - just threw Biden under the bus with his congressional testimony today.
I've disappointed in how the General has presented himself, and disgusted with he did in re private talks with the Chinese.
If he's answering questions to Congress and is under oath, his various remarks 'throwing President Biden under the bus' is in the line of duty.
The Marine LTC in question took it upon himself to get involved in politics in an assignment that was not in the political realm.
He says he's ready for the consequences of his actions.
Just when I think my confidence in our leaders couldn't get any lower...
I hate to say this, but I think it gets worse before it gets better.

In a related note, regarding a Naval Officer / Naval Aviator speaking out and getting slammed for it,
interesting article on the CO of the Roosevelt and that COVID thing here.
For your consideration.