PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF mandates Vaccine
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2021, 04:49
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend alot
This from the WHO a while ago still says not much is known about numerous aspects of immunity, but has have some data on it. That data shows it is pretty good immunity.

https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/...2021.1-eng.pdf

Worldwide more than 208,081,956 people have it so far.
That figure looks like it came from the Worldometer webpage. It looks reputable with no obvious reason to doubt it. The line prior of deaths on that page is worth noting too, at the point you retrieved that figure the deaths figure stood at 4,742,727. So based on those figures, 208 million recovered, 4.7 million died. I'm sure all the usual caveats apply regarding asymptomatic cases undiagnosed, deaths not recorded in places such as India and remote places unable to test sick patients and so on, but overall based on those figures it's a fairly dangerous way to gain natural immunity - a roughly 2.2% death rate.

On the 22nd of September in Australia there were 337,285 vaccine doses administered. For the sake of the example if we take the rough approximation that half of them were first doses, that is 168642 first doses. Now if hypothetically deaths occurred at the same rate at the point of first exposure to either coronavirus or the vaccine, in gaining either natural or vaccine-derived immunity people, then there would have been 3710 people dying, in Australia alone, from their vaccination reactions on that day. 3710 deaths, in one day. That fairly obviously didn't happen. Given a choice, I know which way I would rather gain that immunity.

While there have been very rare cases of deaths linked to vaccinations, that rate is vastly, vastly lower. Of course, if you've had it, and recovered, then hopefully you are protected whether that involves a followup booster or whatever is the most effective.

Last edited by De_flieger; 24th Sep 2021 at 05:16.