PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fun when I was a student...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2021, 06:05
Ascend Charlie

Received 209 Likes on 95 Posts
Fun when I was a student...

On an IF trip in the MB 326H Macchi, the student is in the back seat, with screens covering the canopy and no outside reference. Thus, the student couldn't land the aircraft, and the instructor would take over at the end of the flight and get Bloggs to peel back the screen between the two seats so he can see forward, usually to see the runway miles off to one side because he fouled up the approach.

On this particular day it had all turned to ****, and my instructor, "Beach Ball", took over to return to Pearce from Gin Gin, the satellite airfield 15 miles north. I knew the flight had been dismal, and as we whizzed in from the initial point at 250 knots, I thought that if I was going to have a bad day, Beach Bum would too. So I pulled the throttle back to idle and said "Practice!", the term for a simulated engine failure.

Ray's initial response was "You ******* little smartarse! I'll show you!", and zoomed to height to resume the glide profile of 150 knots, half speed-brake to simulate a windmilling engine, looking for a high key position abeam the threshold at 2500'. But from our position on initial run-in, all he could hope for was a dog-leg to wash off some height and then a straight-in approach. Well, he missed that dog-leg, lost too much height and speed, and would have crashed well short of the runway, so he had to power up to complete the landing.

Not much was said about that one in the debrief.