PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan 2021 Onwards
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2021, 20:53
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,583 Likes on 720 Posts
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...each-j266mcf5x

MoD official suspended after data breach ‘put Afghan interpreter lives in danger

An official at the Ministry of Defence has been suspended pending investigation after a “significant” data breach relating to the emails of interpreters in Afghanistan hoping to come to the UK. Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, apologised in the Commons and told MPs he “immediately directed investigations” to take place.

On Monday an email was sent to more than 250 Afghans, dozens of them believed to be interpreters, who were eligible for the Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (Arap) and who remain in the country. The email was copied to all applicants rather than blind copying them, MPs heard.

Some of the Afghans had their photographs attached to their email addresses, as well as their names. Some of those whose information has been released are in hiding from the Taliban after the militants took control of the battle-torn country last month……

After sending the email, the MoD tried to recall it, warning the Afghans that their email address “may have been compromised”. They were advised to change their email address.

Responding to an urgent question, Wallace told the Commons: “I apologise to those Afghans affected by this data breach and with [the Home Office] we are now working with them to provide security advice.”

He said James Heappey, the armed forces minister, was in the region speaking to neighbouring countries to see what more the MoD could do to help Afghans who had made it to third countries and those who still remained in Afghanistan.

Wallace added: “It is an unacceptable level of service that has let down the thousands of members of the armed forces and veterans. On behalf of the Ministry of Defence, I apologise. I offer the reassurances that the scheme will continue to operate and bring people back to the United Kingdom for however many are eligible and however long it takes.”

He added: “It was brought to my attention at 2000 hours last night there had been a significant data breach. To say I was angered by this was an understatement and I immediately directed investigations take place.” He said so far one individual had been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation and “processes for data handling and correspondence processing have already been changed”.

In response to SNP questions, Wallace said he had “instigated changes to improve information security within the department” before noting: “The modern rules that govern information security are, I believe, fit for purpose, it’s really about the training and the following and the adherence of it that must be improved.”

He added: “Nevertheless, information security is not something western governments are good at, which is why our adversaries seem to be. We have to improve it and we have to stand by it.” Admiral Sir Ben Key, the commander of joint operations who led the planning and evacuation from Kabul, is leading the investigation.

For Labour, the shadow defence secretary John Healey welcomed the defence secretary’s apology but told the Commons that “action” was now what mattered the most. He said: “These Afghan interpreters worked alongside our British forces and the government rightly pledged to protect them. Ministers must make good on those promises now.”