PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot numbers compared to population
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2021, 04:00
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO it is not a simple "change X and everything will be better" type problem.

That GA in Oz is declining is due to many factors. Changing the regulatory framework and oversight will not solve it because the issue is due to more than that.

It includes (but is not limited to):

* infrastructure weaknesses (local councils not able to support aerodromes following withdrawal of commonwealth support),

* lack of affordable new aircraft in GA coupled with an aging fleet,

* competition for land use at aerodromes where operators/owners/councils can see more $$ using (or selling) the infrastructure for non-aviation uses,

* a world where young people (and older people sitting typing away on facebook or pprune or streaming immersive TV/movies) get quick gratification without having to go out and do things (like flying) and so no longer interested,

* the commodification of air travel and a race to low cost removing a lot of the mystique and allure of aviation meaning fewer people see it as something worth pursuing as a job or a hobby.

* The organisation that advocates for aviation - Oz AOPA seems to be dying (go to their web site home page, it advertises the latest weekly edition of their magazine - the latest being Feb 1 2020 and under the advocacy pages there are only 3 items dating this year, the fourth item dates from 2019)**.

* Add to the mix COVID, lack of jobs, a industry that seems more intent on pulling each other down, general negativity and discouraging of new pilots, rather than standing together, respecting each other and mentoring people (I read the pages on this forum and wonder sometimes is this really what most pilot's are actually like).

* A society that increasingly is looking for someone/thing to blame when things aren't the way we want rather than one that works together to improve stuff

What could make it better?

1. A robust, thriving advocacy body. Government will not listen without it. Look at the role of the US AOPA compared to our AOPA. It needs commitment from us.

2. A community wanting to put in to make it better and being active in ways other than typing on internet forums "oh woe is us it is all the government/CASA/flying training industry/airlines/women pilots who get an unfair advantage/VET Fee Help Students/greenies/people who use wrong spelling/Other pilots/Air Services/people who don't vote the same as me's fault - strike out whichever is inapplicable - we are all doomed!". It needs a sense of comradery amongst us.

3. Lobbying of the commonwealth and state governments to see the value to the community of a strong general aviation industry rather than a short term cost view. Means us making noise.

4. Mentoring and encouraging new people into aviation. Means us looking beyond ourselves

Regulatory change alone will not do it, change of CASA policy/behaviour alone will not do it, Airspace change alone will not do it. The industry itself (and I lump in private pilots as part of the industry because they are 100% part of the GA industry) alone can make a change - it will not be made for us but by us. Or it will continue to wither.

**AOPA - I am not saying this is AOPAs fault - AOPA is a reflection of the membership. Are you a member? Are you involved? Are you questioning why it seems so quiet? Are you offering to assist? I have to admit I just pay my fees and do nothing else. Well, other than type away on internet forums and bore my students and co-workers so I am as guilty as most.

strewth. got all preachy there but what the hell.

Last edited by jonkster; 21st Sep 2021 at 04:59. Reason: speling